Friday, April 06, 2007

Interview with WOTS finalist Ned Beedie

Our friend Frederick Mensch from www.moviebytes.com, the number one go-to resource for screenplay contests, recently did an interview with 2006 Writers on the Storm Top 3 finalist Ned Beedie. We thought we'd post it here, too. Congrats on the publicity, Ned! You deserve it!

MovieBytes Interview: Screenwriter Ned Beedie
=================================================================
An interview with screenwriter Ned Beedie regarding the Century City Writing Competition.
Q: What's the title of the script you entered in this contest, and what's it about?

A: The Dollmaker.

The logline is: Mike Broyles is a recently disgraced reporter -- think Jayson Blair from the NY Times. He returns to his hometown to rethink his life when the body of a missing 8 year-old boy turns up hanging from a tree.
Mike begins to uncover evidence that links this killing to a series of unsolved murders from fifteen years ago -- the Dollmaker killings.

Of course, with his credibility shot, no one believes Mike. That is, except for the murderer himself, who now knows that somebody is on to him. Mike has a chance on a story that could redeem his life and career -- if he lives long enough to write it.

Q: What made you enter this particular contest? Have you entered any other contests with this script? If so, how did you do?

A: I enter any and all contests that I can. I figure the more exposure, the better.

Yes, I have. -Semi-finalist in the Writer's Network Competition
-1st Place Winner in the Century City Screenwriting Competition
-2nd Runner Up in Writers on the Storm Competition -1 of 40
scripts selected for the fall '06 IFP Market, NYC -Semifinalist
in the Screenwriting Expo Contest -Honorable mention for the
IndieProducer.Com Screenwriting Competition -Semifinalist in
American Accolades Competition -Quarterfinalist in American
Screenwriting Competition -First Round Placement in 20/20
Competition -Quarterfinalist in Page Screenplay Competition

Q: Were you satisfied with the adminstration of the contest? Did they meet their deadlines? Did you receive all the awards that were promised?

A: I was very satisfied with all the contests I entered except one. I had an extremely bad encounter with the administrator of that particular competition and would never recommend it to anyone. Otherwise, all went very well. I received everything promised and got many meetings and readings from them.

Q: Were you given any feedback on your script? If so, did you find the feedback helpful?

A: I've been given a TON of feedback on the script. I have a completely new draft that tries to take many of these notes into account. I've only had a few people read this new version so it's still untested. I don't know if it works or if too many cooks in the kitchen undid what I was trying to achieve.

Q: Has your success in this contest helped you market your script? Were you contacted by any agents, managers or producers?

A: Yes, it has helped market it. I've been approached by all three but yet to sign with anyone, much to my frustration.

Q: What's your background? Have you written any other screenplays or television scripts?

A: I have a Master's Degree in Screenwriting from the American Film Institute. I have written other screenplays, optioned two and am working in the industry full time on various projects...though am ready to take my game up a notch or two.

Q: Do you live in Los Angeles? If not, do you have any plans to move there?

A: Yes, I don't think you can truly succeed in this business unless you do. So much of it is about bumping into people at the gym or Starbucks, or knowing a friend who has a sister who's an agent and volunteers to pass along your script. Obviously,
writing and the material matter. But, unfortunately, that can only take you so far and it's the relationships you build that sustain you.

Q: What's next? Are you working on a new script?

A: I'm currently working on two new scripts. I have a website:
www.NedJamesBeedie.com that describes best what I'm doing, who I am and where I'm going. Thanks!